Sample SchedulesThe Whale Camp at The Fundy Marine Science Institute
Sample 1,2 & 3 Week Schedules:
- Morning: Drive from Bangor Maine to Black’s Harbour, New Brunswick and take the ferry to Grand Manan.
- Afternoon: Ice-breaking games at Swallowtail Lighthouse. Camp orientation.
- Evening: High energy games and dorm orientation.
- Morning: 1st weekers – Sensory hike and activities to experience and understand the forces that create the tides of the Bay of Fundy. 2nd and 3rd weekers – Whale research and data collection workshop.
- Afternoon into Evening: Board the vessel Day’s Catch for exploration of the Bay of Fundy – marine mammal and avian species observation, identification, and research. (1st-week focus – physiology; 2nd-week focus – behaviors; 3rd-week focus – research); All campers: observation techniques, species, individual identification, data collection. Dinner at sea.
- Evening: Puffin Program.
- Morning: Boat trip on the Days Catch to Machias Seal Island to closely observe puffins, razorbill auks, common murres, and Arctic terns (optional trip for 1-weekers, included in 2- and 3-week program). Afternoon: Coastal hike to Flock-of-Sheep to explore the geology of Grand Manan.
- Evening: Team building and initiative games.
- Morning: Marine mammal and marine biology activities (1st-week focus – physiology; 2nd-week focus – behaviors; 3rd-week focus – research).
- Afternoon: Board research boat Days Catch for exploration of the Bay of Fundy – marine mammal and avian species observation, identification and research, and physical oceanography.
- Evening: Plankton lab.
- Morning: Coastal kayak tour or coastal hike.
- Afternoon: Tide pooling activity and lab.
- Evening: Whale Watch Town Hal.
- Morning: Whale research presentation and discussion with Laurie Murison, Manager of Whale & Seabird Research Station.
- Afternoon: Closing questions and photo tour of Grand Manan. Pack and clean.
- Evening: Campfire.
- Travel back to Bangor for those leaving. Optional day-long kayak or overnight kayak and camping trip for campers that are staying.
- Morning: Sleep in! Explore the Grand Manan, Farmers Market.
- Afternoon: Explore and hike on White Head Island OR Beach clean-up and games.
- Evening: Mini-golf OR Squid jigging.
Sunday (for campers that stayed the weekend)
- Morning: Sleep in! Squid dissection OR Wildflower walk and flower pressing.
- Afternoon: Lunch, then meet the new campers at Swallowtail Lighthouse.
Weekend Excursions: For two- and three-week or longer campers, choose either a full-day kayak to one of the islands close to Grand Manan or choose an overnight kayak trip and camp out on a nearby island.
College Credit Course for High School Students: Advance your opportunities for success. Choose our three-week workshop – Ecology of the Bay of Fundy (Earn 3 credits with Immaculata University).