Authors and Artists in Nature: Inspired and OutsideCourse description:
Our Authors and Artists in Nature course is back! Exploration leads to inspiration in this three-week writers and artists workshop (formerly offered as a camp program on Grand Manan). Students will learn how illustrators have drawn inspiration from the woods, poets have heard the words of the sea, and how nature sometimes paints a picture too beautiful not to capture. This course will allow participants to explore both a variety of artistic mediums and the outdoors. Students will collaborate in their own creation of a hard-bound full-color book of stories, poetry, photography, and art, and will finish the course with a portfolio of their own work. Students will also have the option to complete additional coursework to qualify for college credits!
Dates: July 13 - 20, 2020
Meet Monday - Thursday mornings virtually from 10:30-11:30am ET followed by daily art and writing projects offline.
Optional afternoon sessions from 4:00-5:00pm ET for community time (Monday and Wednesday) and structured activities (yoga, painting, trivia, design projects - Tuesday and Thursday).
Cost: $500* for three week program
*Cost does not include art materials, a suggested list will be provided. Cost does not include bound book (optional). College credit is additional cost.
Week 1: Art & Literature - Introduction, Exploration, and Analysis
Week 2: Playing With Mediums - Branching Out and Discovery
Week 3: Collaboration as a Creative Community - Feedback, Discussion, and Publishing!
Sample Daily Program in the Course:
Day 2: Introduction to Poetry & Prose
- Stream of consciousness exercise
- Discuss tools and techniques used in poetry and prose with examples from Canadian literature and examine how nature inspired these works
- Instructor will analyze a piece of literature to provide an example for analysis assignment
- Group work: Blackout poem and other prompts
- Creative writing prompts in nature
- Work on own analysis for end of week (students analyze a piece of their choosing)
Day 3: Introduction to Painting & Illustration
- Warm-up exercise
- Introduction to a variety of mediums used in classic & contemporary works, including acrylic, oil, watercolours, illustration, and digital art
- Examine how nature has influenced art throughout ancient and modern history
- Instructor will analyze a chosen work of art to provide an example for assignment
- Experiment with a visual medium of your choosing (can be student’s final piece or another piece for their portfolio)
- Work on own analysis for end of week